So by now the reality of the situation has set in for most of us and the harsh reality that life as we knew it only a few weeks ago is now over, movements are restricted and monitored, and we are not even being given any indication when this may or may not end, people are losing their jobs already as an economy largely built on debt and the management thereof fails almost instantly the “just in time”repayment money fails to appear.
It would be easy to fall into depression, in fact that is one of the things that is worrying governments around the world, people will take longer to recover from the effects of having their lives taken out from underneath them slower than the world will take to beat Covid-19.
The important thing to remember at this time is that although this seems insurmountable it is not, it literally is just a matter of time, and frankly the conspiracy theorists out there claiming that governments have a cure but aren’t letting on are dreaming, there is no government anywhere in the world that would allow the demise of millions of registered tax payers if they could help it.
After the Boxset
Initially I think the majority of people will turn to Netflix (and other streaming platforms) with time on their hands, but once you have binge re-watched your favorite series what then, twiddle your thumbs? the reaction that the world had to being told they should stay in doors was almost completely uniform.
Majority of people had to get out and see other people, not because they suddenly had the desire to be social but because they were frightened about losing the ability to do something.
Our minds need stimulation and leisure activities are designed to give us a break from the stress and planning of normal daily modern life, if you think about what you would normally do in a typical day it is quite a long list, juggling work, home, activities, money, emails, social media, planning holidays, dealing with children and their problems, worrying about children the list is endless.
But these worries are starting to diminish we are not going out as much, balancing all the activities that we would normally do in a day and a night aren’t there any more and our brains are struggling to slow down, this is where the boredom and the frustration comes in.
As we become bored we become aware of the lack of stimulation, and that frustrates us more, the lack of stimulation is the biggest change we can go through at this time because people with a normal active life are, if anything, over stimulated, modern life has dictated that we become 24hr people and suddenly we have been thrust back into a time long gone where there is very little to do and a lot of time to think about things.
But it doesn’t have to be this way, you do not have to succumb to the boredom and ultimately the cabin fever, all you need to do is find a source of stimulation, a path of mental and physical occupation that means you are expanding your mind, believe me it will make that boxset even sweeter in the evening if you have been busy all day.
My Tips to Stay Sane in this Insanity
- Start a course online, literally pick a subject and start to learn it, if ever you needed the time to learn a new skill this is the perfect excuse.
- Spend time with your family (in your household of course) you would be amazed how little you know about each other really, as modern life forces the “ships passing in the night” on all of us.
- Make good use of Social Media, I hate it personally but not because of itself but rather the applications that humans find for it, usually the instrument of either hate or bullying or pornography, instead we now have the opportunity to use it for face to face communication, and to catch up with people you possibly haven’t had time to before.
- Read, reading is by far and way the easiest way to lose some hours while engaging your mind, read fiction and your brain will conjure images and emotions as well as improving skills that can be useful for education purposes, most of us fall out of the habit and struggle when we pick up educational books, not because of the subject matter but because we are out of practice with reading.
- Enjoy the time together, partners, children and pets are awesome we rarely (in most cases) get the opportunity to really enjoy time as it is always so finite but now the rushing around is out of the way you can truly enjoy the time together.
I hope this helps to at least give confidence that the way people are feeling is normal, and that there are ways to ride this thing out, it will be (and is being) a very challenging time for the world, but we will get through it, and who knows, with a helping of luck come out the other side a bit better connected and with a better prospective on the life we were living and how important some of the priorities we had were.