So when do you start giving stuff away? well for us it is now, we are trying to capitalise on the gyms reopening on the 24th July (for the UK), a lot of the big players are offering silly discounts like 90% and we did consider it but we would have run at such a massive loss, so we have opted instead to run a promotion that we can afford and see if that makes a difference to our sales.
The lesson here really is that you cannot compete with companies that have so much more money than you, if you have money then you can compete with companies that are established already, it is literally a war, whoever runs out of money first loses.
So I will run the AD’s now and see what kind of uptake we get, we are also re-designing the landing page of the site to still try and combat the bounce rate.
Why is this blog so short?
Because nobody reads the long posts, it is as simple as that, I am trying to help people to start making money online, not by preaching about how wealthy I am (as I am not) and not by simply setting out steps that in an ideal world would make a successful business, if you follow me and keep up you will hear first hand the mistakes we made and hopefully avoid them yourself, the internet is a huge cash machine there is plenty for all!!!
Ok so from now on I am going to keep these post really very short and sweet for a couple of reasons.
The first is simply that I am not convinced that anybody actually reads the lengthy posts that go into detail, preferring instead to read posts going over the same tired old ideas of how to make a successful blog by doing nothing but holding an audience.
Instead of this my plan is to simply continue on the path I was on before which is to try and help people that are trying to make money online to do just that by avoiding all the pitfalls that we make while launching our supplement company .
Shopify So far
Well we haven’t sold a goddamn thing! this is not shopify’s fault however so a couple of things that are far more important than you give them credit for are.
Holy Moly this one is a nightmare, being successful online is never going to happen while this number is high, pay really close attention to the design of your website to make sure that people stay on it.
Are you too busy to use the tutorials that are on the site? then you are too busy to make money online simple!
Don’t waste traffic
We did and it really stresses me out, after generating traffic to the shop we left it til the traffic dropped off before asking why nobody was buying.
If you knew it all you’d be rich
If something doesn’t make sense ask for god’s sake, in this instance I cannot praise Shopify enough, they have helped me through every issue I have had from the really counter intuitive right through to the down right idiotic fat fingered mistake.
So I’ve been experimenting today and yesterday with varying ways of advertising, you could have literally the best product in the world but if nobody knows it’s there or they can purchase it well you know they ever gonna make any money, so listed below are the top 5 ways I drive traffic to my site read on!.
Oddly, Actually in order!!
- Facebook.com – has to be the first one, however it should be noted that it isn’t a panacea, frankly the ways of getting Facebook advertising into Shopify were so complicated and convoluted that it literally took the longest time of everything here, the linking of ad accounts, business accounts, that it wants to know who’s going to pay the bill (obviously) it is massively over complicated, and if I’m going to be completely honest 48 hours later I’m still actually no further forward, not strictly true but I haven’t set it up completely yet.
- Google – These two should have been joint first place, and it could be argued that they do go hand in hand, but where they are similar mainly, is the fact that they are literally the go-to for their particular reasons so exactly the same as vacuum cleaners becoming known as hoovers because that was the familiar brand, social media has become Facebook, and searching for stuff on the internet has become known as Googling which of course I don’t need to tell any of you, this actually was fairly simple, you add the sales channel, then you add it to an account, you are given a merchant account and it then syncs all your products to google shopping search, this takes between 24 to 36 hours to start coming into effect, so don’t expect to set this up and suddenly make a million and one sales, there are also two ways of doing this, there is the unpaid version, which is simply referred to as Google Sync, and this simply syncs your products to Google pages to be suggested along with other purchase suggestions when people look for products, and there is a paid version, Which is called smart shopping, and this is as I say paid for and you require a budget and for that see my last post.
- Additionally specifically through Shopify you can setup a sync to an eBay account, of course this requires an eBay account and as at the time of writing my business partner is sound asleep and therefore I can’t get the account details to link it so when he calls I will update this post with those details as well, but I would imagine and then it’s going to be simply using eBay’s API to pass advert and products across to their site on your account eBay again is a huge resource as far as selling products is concerned because it is one of those go-to sites for consumers.
- Instagram – The old favourite, this is where things start to get a little complicated, because you end up in a situation where you almost have a reciprocal and cyclical advertising loop, when you link to Facebook you have to remember that Facebook is inherently and natively linked to Instagram, my advice really is to make sure that you are not paying twice or setting up multiple advertising campaigns, inadvertently replicating each other, be aware that your business account on Facebook is also going to offer you the ability to advertise on Instagram and vice versa, so when creating the sales Channel in Shopify bear that in mind.
- Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, Mix – and indeed all the other photo and lifestyle sharing sites, Although last on the list, they are of massive importance, however I don’t regard them as directly and purely marketing applications, the one thing we’re all trying to achieve, is brand awareness we all want people to know what our brand is, Where it can be found and indeed how good it is, it also doesn’t hurt to have many people using it and speaking about it at length.
Now I have bored you to death!
As I stated previously the social media Revolution has allowed anybody and everybody with the right tenacity and patience to make a lot of money online, it is now no longer the mutual domain of big companies with investment plans and a huge loan from the bank that can go on and make the money, the only thing you require is the ability to keep pushing when it looks like you’re getting nowhere, this business and indeed any online business is simply a matter of figuring out the Mathematics and equations, literally if you build it and you tell them it’s there they will come.
So very short post this time just to keep people updated, hopefully enough people care, I appreciate the fact that a lot of my advice appears to be to not take people’s advice and to learn for yourself, the reason I say this is because there are too many people who have failed or who have tried to run a business and haven’t made it then go on to sell the process they used for great profit, and I personally don’t like that.
That being said, if there is anything you think I can help with other is anything that you think you want me to try and clarify that I haven’t put across particularly well, please by all means leave a comment, and I will reply as soon as I possibly can.