So I did say that this would be warts and all account of my attempts to build a business this is real short because it was a single mistake that is actually a bit schoolboy error.
Don’t ever and I mean ever forget to ADD the target interests for your audience in your facebook ad settings.
Before you say it, yes I am aware how stupid that sounds but I did forget and thought I’d just point it out.
So I’ve been experimenting today and yesterday with varying ways of advertising, you could have literally the best product in the world but if nobody knows it’s there or they can purchase it well you know they ever gonna make any money, so listed below are the top 5 ways I drive traffic to my site read on!.
Oddly, Actually in order!!
- Facebook.com – has to be the first one, however it should be noted that it isn’t a panacea, frankly the ways of getting Facebook advertising into Shopify were so complicated and convoluted that it literally took the longest time of everything here, the linking of ad accounts, business accounts, that it wants to know who’s going to pay the bill (obviously) it is massively over complicated, and if I’m going to be completely honest 48 hours later I’m still actually no further forward, not strictly true but I haven’t set it up completely yet.
- Google – These two should have been joint first place, and it could be argued that they do go hand in hand, but where they are similar mainly, is the fact that they are literally the go-to for their particular reasons so exactly the same as vacuum cleaners becoming known as hoovers because that was the familiar brand, social media has become Facebook, and searching for stuff on the internet has become known as Googling which of course I don’t need to tell any of you, this actually was fairly simple, you add the sales channel, then you add it to an account, you are given a merchant account and it then syncs all your products to google shopping search, this takes between 24 to 36 hours to start coming into effect, so don’t expect to set this up and suddenly make a million and one sales, there are also two ways of doing this, there is the unpaid version, which is simply referred to as Google Sync, and this simply syncs your products to Google pages to be suggested along with other purchase suggestions when people look for products, and there is a paid version, Which is called smart shopping, and this is as I say paid for and you require a budget and for that see my last post.
- Additionally specifically through Shopify you can setup a sync to an eBay account, of course this requires an eBay account and as at the time of writing my business partner is sound asleep and therefore I can’t get the account details to link it so when he calls I will update this post with those details as well, but I would imagine and then it’s going to be simply using eBay’s API to pass advert and products across to their site on your account eBay again is a huge resource as far as selling products is concerned because it is one of those go-to sites for consumers.
- Instagram – The old favourite, this is where things start to get a little complicated, because you end up in a situation where you almost have a reciprocal and cyclical advertising loop, when you link to Facebook you have to remember that Facebook is inherently and natively linked to Instagram, my advice really is to make sure that you are not paying twice or setting up multiple advertising campaigns, inadvertently replicating each other, be aware that your business account on Facebook is also going to offer you the ability to advertise on Instagram and vice versa, so when creating the sales Channel in Shopify bear that in mind.
- Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, Mix – and indeed all the other photo and lifestyle sharing sites, Although last on the list, they are of massive importance, however I don’t regard them as directly and purely marketing applications, the one thing we’re all trying to achieve, is brand awareness we all want people to know what our brand is, Where it can be found and indeed how good it is, it also doesn’t hurt to have many people using it and speaking about it at length.
Now I have bored you to death!
As I stated previously the social media Revolution has allowed anybody and everybody with the right tenacity and patience to make a lot of money online, it is now no longer the mutual domain of big companies with investment plans and a huge loan from the bank that can go on and make the money, the only thing you require is the ability to keep pushing when it looks like you’re getting nowhere, this business and indeed any online business is simply a matter of figuring out the Mathematics and equations, literally if you build it and you tell them it’s there they will come.
So very short post this time just to keep people updated, hopefully enough people care, I appreciate the fact that a lot of my advice appears to be to not take people’s advice and to learn for yourself, the reason I say this is because there are too many people who have failed or who have tried to run a business and haven’t made it then go on to sell the process they used for great profit, and I personally don’t like that.
That being said, if there is anything you think I can help with other is anything that you think you want me to try and clarify that I haven’t put across particularly well, please by all means leave a comment, and I will reply as soon as I possibly can.