So it has been six months since we started the businesses, the supplement company, and the t-shirt business on the back of that, so it is high time we injected an honest update into the internet and please for your sake read this, not for my sake as I have already made the best choice I think for myself and my goals.
As you may or may not recall the business I started was a supplement company, called GFPharma, I found the suppliers and paid the money just before covid struck and we began,
So far the company has cost us more money than it has made, in fact, without going into the actual financials (I am by trade a network security engineer so I am paranoid about what is and isn’t shared) we have lost that much money that if you count the initial purchase as a loss (which it becomes should the company cease) then we have DOUBLED our loss.
A word of mitigation, when we started we both accepted that neither of us were experienced at online marketing so this would be a slow burner, however the actual experience of doing the marketing was as soul destroying as it can possibly get.
Methods we Tried
- Facebook Advertising (unpaid)
- Facebook Advertising (paid)
- Instagram Posts (unpaid)
- Instagram promotions (paid)
- Contacting “Influencers” on Instagram (more on them later)
- Google Advertising (unpaid)
- Google pay per click (paid as name suggests)
- Traditional Advertising (at local gym)
- Product Placement (at local gym)
- Free Giveaways
- Free Giveaways (to product testers)
- Starting a Facebook page for engagement
- Creating Fitness Blogs
More money loss, we increased visits “clicks” to the Shopify shop but no sales, as a result of this we underwent a massive re-design of the site and had it assessed to check that it looked and felt professional, it has to be said at this point that Shopify do a really good job on the whole providing both the shop fronts and help and assistance when it is required.
No sales, No sales, No sales, this is the only message I have from this, the product is good the quality is on point and the website looks good so what was missing?
Before we discuss the truth, a word about my favourite subject, Instagram “Influencers”
The news and the media have always buzzed with the downfall of stars from all walks of fame and fortune, from young to old they fall at an alarming rate as the reality that they are no more important than the next agents paycheck and that they are not the people that the admiring public hold on a pedestal.
The human mind craves reassurance, we seek out acceptance and the approval of peers constantly it is the way we are made, and when you “normalize” fame by allowing the greater population to become famous the problem does not dissipate it just gets worse.
When reaching out to these people the response when we got one was lacklustre and non-committal, the sums of money that they wanted based on an amount of people that had the potential to see their post on the feed that they scroll through at the speed of light was annoying to say the very least.
Here is the the thing, these poor pathetic bastards with their meagre following of 14k people or even 100k cannot handle the fact that they are not worth any money at all to advertise with, but they will ask because to them 100k people that have clicked follow seems a lot, as a way of justifying my statement here are some follower counts of actual famous people that can command money for who they are.
- Dwayne Johnson 200 Million Followers
- Justin Bieber 127 Million Followers
- Salma Hayek 14.7 Million Followers
- Rihanna 87.6 Million Followers
Our company was not big enough to even be of interest to them on the whole, as you can tell I am bitter but I also find it fascinating that they cannot see the comparison between themselves and their social desperation and the fact that fame and fortune on any platform has the same has it has always been.
If you were to believe all the bullshit on youtube and the internet as a whole you would believe that there is just a method you can follow and that it will make you rich, the fact is that there isn’t, I do not want to destroy any dreams that may be bolstered by these utter pieces of crap, unless you have money you cannot make money that is an evergreen fact.
You need money to make money, all these videos and courses will always leave this out, sure you may be able to con people into selling your course for you like Jon Crestani, or try and bore people to death by releasing video after video on youtube telling people that success comes from not masturbating like Project Life Mastery, or even listen to the inane rantings of Alex Becker shouting at you after you have watched the adverts that pay for his very affluent and comfortable lifestyle.
But for the more morally gifted amongst us you still need MONEY FIRST, this is why.
- Advertising Costs – A lot, and when I say a lot I mean it, the internet is a numbers game and a budget of 1k just won’t cut it, bank on spending a lot more.
- Adverts Cost – Different from above because unless you are in advertising you will not be able to put together anything that is remotely enticing, I spent hours and hours and it still looked shit.
- Algorithms – You will always be at the mercy of algorithms unless you more than satisfy point one.
- Products – We started with a physical product, and that is why we failed, we did not have the money to buy in enough quantity to compete with the prices and insane discounts that the industry leaders employ to keep small companies down.
You Can Make Money
But do your due diligence first, market research is easy, just google whatever you are going to sell and look at your competition, that will give you an idea of what you need to do to compete.
And there is a really nasty home truth that is sometimes the business you want to do just won’t work it is as simple as that, with the majority of people getting their information and advertising from the internet these days you have to have enough money to convince the social media companies, which let’s face it is really only one company Facebook, you will not get any customers.
I will give you what I have learned so far absolutely free.
- Save Money First – Sort out your personal finances before beginning, you will need a lot more money than you think.
- Don’t think that you can have a side hustle that will make you rich – listen closely to all these people that make these videos, they all started with nothing, no distractions which means no side hustle, they could focus, and a lot of them had nothing to lose.
- Focus – as above if you do have distractions, you can still make it but it will take much much longer, and cost a lot more money in the long run.
- Learn Social Media – not hoe to take the best picture of your arse, or “accidently” show to much cleavage to get likes, but understand how they manipulate your posts and your exposure.
- Remember that Money Talks – Always has and always will.
I hope this has been helpful and I also hope that you succeed where I so far have failed, and that I can at some point in the future add some content to this blog that indicates I have cracked the code, I apologise if you have found any of this controversial but the fact is that the truth is often controversial and all this is purely my own opinion any way.