So Gym’s, pubs, clubs and all meeting places have been shut down, and it is really for our own good, after all you don’t want the corona virus do you? the issue with this is that although life is changing in an unprecedented way it appears (through the front window) to be normal, peaceful and quiet, meanwhile the TV sounds and looks like the plot of a Hollywood movie, so it is difficult to get a handle on the reality of the situation.
The gym I attend was shut this week and fortunately for me they have taken the generous step of “hiring” some equipment out so I do have a bar and some 20k plates at home to train with, but before we knew that was going to be a thing I first went out and found myself a log, yes, a log, and I intend to find more, you see we have become so ingrained with the convenience of gyms and facilities that we have forgotten the very basics of why we can build muscle, Adaptation the muscle doesn’t care if you are deadlifting with an ivanko bar or a tree trunk, it reacts to something you can’t do by growing bigger and stronger in order to allow you to do it, your body is your greatest ally.
What the hell do I do with a Log ?
Here are my suggestions and the muscle groups this will use, remember that you are now working within “functional strength” so there is very little in the way of concentration movements but as well all know by now, when you recruit the vast majority of your muscle groups in a movement the effects on the body are increased, with elevations in BMR and testosterone production as well as growth hormone release.
- Lift above your head – Starting from the ground grip the log and lift so it is above your head horizontally (obviously balance will be a big thing here) and then pass it from shoulder to shoulder in an arc over you head, this will involve back and leg muscle as well as front delts to get the log in position and then delts and triceps as well as forearms to pass it from side to side.
- Bent over row – Easier with some grips but you can use rope or chain to wrap round the log to get a grip, I used chain, place the chain around the log taking great care to place the chains at the point the log is balanced, this way when you pick it up you will get even load distribution, then simply carry out your bent over rows.
- Squats – While not conventional these are easily achieved by picking up the log and rolling it along your arms until it rests on your upper chest, by slightly leaning back and opening up the chest cavity you will place the load in a balanced position then squat, for the squat monsters out there you may have to up the reps in order to compensate for the lack of weight.
- Deadlifts – same as bent over row really just deadlift it instead !
- Lift / Carry – with the heaviest log that you can carry, do just that, pick it up with your arms round it and walk, this is an amazing full body exercise and will help with core strength as well.
These are just a few examples and I have set myself a little challenge, rather than come out of this situation having to start again, I want to go back to the gym in better shape than when I left, remember the gym is the best place to build muscle it is just not the only place, and when this is all over these businesses will need us to go back as soon as possible, because while all this is going on they still have to pay the bills.